Monday, June 21, 2010

Energy For Dummies

I read an article recently in Real Simple magazine entitled "25 Instant Energy Boosters." I really liked it - I think I have semi-chronic low-energy issues. I am NOT a morning person - but I would love to do everything I can to become one. I think one thing that could help would be eating healthier and having a more regular sleep-schedule. Anyway, I thought I'd share some of my favorite tips from the article in hopes of motivating myself to try and make goals out of the ones that stood out to me! Here are ten of my favorites, along with a "goal" for each one:

1.) Get a whiff of citrus
-the smells of oranges, lemons, and grapefruits have been shown to be energizing, so simply add a slice or two of your favorite to a glass of water.
GOAL #1: Have lemons available, and put a couple of slices into my water

2.) Drink a glass of water in the morning/drink more water
-hydrating first thing in the morning increases the chances that you'll continue throughout the day and prevents dehydration which causes fatigue
GOAL #2: drink.more.water. This goal goes well with goal #1. I've been trying to drink water first thing in the morning, and being sure to drink water throughout the day. This has been a big help lately...(which...I didn't realize was rare until looking it up just now!)

3.) Drink an herbal tea at night
-chamomile will help calm you down for sleep, while peppermint aids digestion
GOAL #3: if I have a hankering to eat or drink late at night - go for the tea!

4.) Sit up straight
-poor posture puts uneven pressure on your spine and causes some muscles to work extra hard, which makes them tight and tense and so they use up extra energy - realign your spine by simply lifting your rib cage away from the top of your hips
GOAL #4: sit up straighter!

5.) Be nice to a stranger
-when you do something kind, your energy goes up
GOAL #5: look for creative ways to bless strangers - this article recommends checking out actsofkindness.org - I'll have to check that out!

6.) Rise and seek sunshine
-you want to use light and stimulation to wake you up for the daytime, then use dark and quiet at night, if you can go outside within 15 minutes of waking for 20 minutes and face east, even on a cloudy day, you'll get enough light to energize yourself for the day
GOAL #6: try to sit outside on my balcony at least 3 mornings a week

7.) Exercise
-don't spend 45 minutes on the treadmill at one consistent pace - alternating bursts of energy like running, with slower activity, like walking, over the course of 30 minutes is a more energizing way to work out than endurance-focused exercise. Also, one-minute sets of jumping jacks throughout the day will get your blood flowing
GOAL #7: regular exercise. This will probably be a goal of mine for the rest of my life - but I've gotta keep trying! I like the jumping jacks idea too.

8.) Fill a vase with fresh flowers
-a study has shown that people who looked at fresh flowers in the morning reported higher energy levels for the rest of the day (Evidently Proflowers.com is offering Real Simple readers a 15% discount from June 1 - July 31..hmm...may have to take them up on the offer!)
GOAL #8: I don't know if this tip gives me a goal I really want to follow....but, I like the idea of having flowers around! maybe I'll use it as an occasional treat!

9.) Write a thank you note
-stress zaps energy, an it's tough to be stressed and feel grateful at the same time
GOAL #9: take time out of every day to think of reasons I have to be thankful *Colossians 3:15 comes to mind*

10.) Turn your world upside down
-any inverted pose is energizing, even just leaning over to touch your toes, try doing the "downward dog" or just sticking your rear against the wall, put your feet two feet in front of you, bend your knees, and bend forward.
GOAL #10: mostly I just thought this one was funny....if you see me randomly go into the "downward dog" position...you'll know that I decided to make a goal out of this tip.


Also, I wanted to add a tip of my own that I think will give you energy:
TIP: bring back the high ponytail. just try it, you'll know what I mean.

That's all for now! Here's to having more energy!!

:)

1 comment:

  1. No way, Rachel, I literally looked up ways to stay awake today at work! This is amazing... I could have just read your blog! Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete