Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Life at Target

I have been thinking about my job lately - and how so very unimportant it is. (Don't worry, this is NOT going to be a "woe is me in my unimportance" sort of a blog - this is going somewhere, I promise!) The most exciting thing that happened this week at my job was getting new cash registers. The worst thing that can happen at my place of employment (Target - for those who don't know) is having to deal with an angry customer ("guests" as we like to call them) who isn't able to return a half-used package of crest white strips because she doesn't like them....or other issues along those lines. If Target were to cease existing - nobody would really care (except those few die-hard Target fans....usually young moms who purchase lots of diapers and children's clothing....) Target employees don't have to make life-and-death decisions every day, like doctors or surgeons. Target employees are not instructing future world leaders - like teachers do every day. We don't change lives. Let's face it - my job isn't very important in the grand scheme of things.

And I'm ok with that. God cares about each person who works at Target just as much as He values the patients at a doctor's office. Every person who comes through those doors is in need of a Savior - in need of Christ. God has placed me there for a reason - for however long He determines/I choose. If I have been placed there so I can tell my coworker who's husband is leaving her that I'm praying for her, I will do so joyfully. If it is so I can encourage other Christians who work there - I will do so the best way I know how. If it is simply so that I can love the single woman in her 30's, who may not have many people to talk to - to listen to what's going on in her life - I will gladly listen. My prayer is that I will not let this opportunity pass. That I will not think of this season as an "in-between" season that is leading to something "greater" (whatever that supposed something "greater" may be).

I want this season of my life to bear fruit. I want to fix my eyes on the Lord, and learn how to love the people He loves so deeply. Pray for me - that I will be obedient. I want to abide in Christ so that my life will have meaning - wherever I go - working at Target, going to coffee, making lunches for my husband. It all has meaning when it's done to the glory of God, and in humble reliance on His grace.

I have so many thoughts running through my head, I'll leave it at that. Happy Wednesday <3

2 comments:

  1. I love this, thank you for sharing! I'm proud of you, sister! Beautifully written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this blog. I felt very similar to this during the summer, when I wasn't working. It is definitely a hard adjustment going from single and going to school, to graduated and married (but not having a full time job). Sounds like God is using you, though, which is so cool!

    ReplyDelete